Solicitor & Conveyancing

Providing individual mortgage advice; unique to you

A solicitor or conveyancer will handle all the legal aspects of buying or selling a property for you. A good one will keep you updated regularly, and can support you by answering questions about the process of buying a property. The first question you’ll be asked when you put in an offer on a property is the name and contact details of your solicitor or licensed conveyancer. 

Conveyancing is the legal term for transferring ownership of property, if you’re buying or selling.

A solicitor or conveyancer will:

  • handle contracts
  • give legal advice
  • carry out local council searches
  • deal with the Land Registry, and
  • transfer the money to pay for your property.

It’s an important role, so choose carefully.

Solicitors are usually more expensive than conveyancers and are qualified lawyers, so they can offer a full range of legal services. Licensed conveyancers are specialised in property but can’t deal with complex legal issues.Solicitors charge in different ways:

  • a fixed fee
  • an hourly rate
  • a percentage of the property price.

Try to get quotes from three different firms on the total cost of their service. Make sure the quotes break down all costs, including VAT, so you’re comparing like with like.

They should include charges for:

  • searches
  • bank transfers
  • Land Registry fees
  • Stamp Duty, Land Tax, Land Transaction Tax and Buildings and Land Transaction Tax, where applicable
  • other costs including postage and courier services
  • additional work if the process is more complex or urgent than expected
  • some conveyancers charge more if you want to use a Help to Buy or Lifetime ISA, or are buying or selling a shared ownership property.
  • Buying a house can be stressful. But having a solicitor or conveyancer who can answer any questions can make it a lot easier. Make sure you find out the best times and ways to contact them.
  • Check if they have a system allowing you to track how the purchase is progressing.
  • Check if they have a holiday booked when you will need them.
  • Ask who will step in if they are away or off sick.
  • Know where they are located. Using a solicitor or conveyancer near to your home or work makes it easier to drop off or collect documents if necessary; and there might be local arrangements or leases, which are unique to your area.

Legal services are not regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.

Get in touch today

Contact us